M: 8am-5pm, T-Th: 7:15am-5pm, F: 8am-12pm
There are two ways that I generally recommend to patients if they want their teeth to be whiter by bleaching them:
- By making a custom bleaching tray made of a thin material that will hold a bleaching material jell against the teeth.
- By using the Crest Whitening Strips you can purchase at our office.
- The bleaching jell on the strip is stronger then what you can buy at a store.
- It has been shown in studies to do as well as the trays if placed correctly on the teeth.
- It is considerably cheaper at $65 for a box of 84 strips (42 upper, 42 lower).
- It takes 3 weeks of consistently wearing them to finish bleaching your teeth.
- You have to be careful to place the strips correctly so the bleaching jell is in contact with the tooth all the way to the gums.
- If your teeth are crooked the strips may not adapt into all the irregularities of your teeth.
To make the custom bleaching trays we take impressions of your teeth and have you back a week later to give you the trays and bleaching jell, which comes in small syringes. I usually recommend wearing the trays about 90 minutes, once a day. The positives of using the bleaching trays are:
- The trays control the jell so it is held against the tooth correctly.
- Bleaching is usually finished after wearing the trays 18-20 hours, or about 2 weeks.
- It requires 2 office visits.
- Is more costly; $240 for both upper and lower trays and bleaching jell.
- If you’re using trays, cut down the wear time to 60 minutes, or maybe only do it every other day.
- For the whitening strips, cut it down to 20 minutes each wear time, or maybe only once a day.